CHRONICLES OF A ROOKIE BROADCASTER [C O A R B] : 2 Baby Steps into Broadcasting.



FIRST THINGS FIRST

Hello, my name is Emmanuel and I am a Rookie Broadcaster, [with bias for radio]. There are other interesting alternatives to word “rookie” that I could settle for; nascent, greenhorn, budding and my favourite “fledling” broadcaster, as these words give delineating meanings to my idea of a novice broadcaster.

Now some would imagine me unhinged to present myself as a novice considering the fact that I am hoping to educate you on how to start a career in broadcasting, but in truth, I  am and would likely remain a rookie broadcaster for as long as my career can take me.

I like to think myself a rookie broadcaster, not to play the humility card, but because broadcasting is a venture of unlimited possibilities, one that is akin a human leading a life, and who would say he is a veteran at being human and staying alive?

Whether it is TV, radio or any other related media for that matter, no one has truly gotten to the zenith of the venture; because it LITERALLY translates to saying I know all there is to be known in the world.

The clichéd line you are told is: as a broadcaster, you should know a bit of everything, but I think that’s being economical with the reality on ground.

The unadulterated dose of reality is that you are confronted with the tasking objective of staying abreast with a lot about everything, 24/7. Hence, viewing it from this standpoint, I think every broadcaster should consider himself a rookie Broadcaster.


To that end, this blog is for those who consider themselves a greenhorn and for startup broadcasters, who plan to make an odyssey into the ever dynamic world of broadcasting and the first things you should keep in mind if you are repining to succeed in the field, is
·       
PASSION

You have to fundamentally be driven by the passion, not the pecuniary benefits. You have to do it because you have an unwavering love for the job.
I recall when I started out as a graduate Intern at Atlantic FM Uyo; I was told clearly that the job isn’t a lucrative one. As a matter of fact; I would have to do a gratis service (Work without Pay). But I knew I loved radio and that passion and tenacity drove me and is still driving me.
A lot of Big shot media Personalities I have been opportune to speak with and listen to, started this way.
 Undoubtedly, the journey will be arduous, discomforting and at some point, will even look hopeless but there is a huge floodlight at the end of the tunnel.
The moment you focus on the financial gains rather than the passion and patience to learn the ropes and diligently climb the ladder, you are setting yourself up to end up at best an Expert Mediocre….
Last but not least
·       
INFORMATION IS KEY, POWER, and LIFE 
you have to Come to terms with the realization that STAYING INFORMED KEEPS YOU RELEVANT and the moment you stepped out of the learning grid, you just backtracked on your success ladder.

Now this is not to scare you, but to keep your eyes open to the true reality and to prepare your mind to make that big decision
Information is Power – might sound like platitude but in broadcasting it still holds sway, because your audience has an expectation and if you are going to stay relevant, you have to match that expectation to a considerable extent.
There is an aphorism my classmates and I frequently said back in the University [Proudly Madonna], “YOU CANNOT NOT COMMUNICATE”. In simple terms, Life will seize to exist if communication stopped, and so long as communication goes on and in different shapes, formats, sizes and forms, there is definitely something to learn, acquire, understand and relate to; Thus, YOU CANNOT NOT LEARN if you are going to have your head above the waters in this venture, it also has a wide reaching benefits.
Being forthright with you, it is a herculean task to keep up and one you cannot shy away from.

So while deciding to become a Radio/TV host, News Anchor, TV/Radio Producer and so on, you need to do a deep introspection, and provide answers to questions like; Am I ready to learn, and keep up with the avalanche of information hitting the world at the speed of light?

I consider these, the baby steps into broadcasting, and having a lucid understand of both would likely ensure you stay on course and not deviate from the prize.

NB: Posts are open to scrutiny, and all opinions and point of directions are deeply appreciated.

Comments